Sunday, July 26, 2009

Psalm 6: Craving a Savior

Psalm 6 says the following:

1O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger,
Nor chasten me in Your wrath.
2Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am B)">pining away;
C)">Heal me, O LORD, for D)">my bones are dismayed.
3And my soul is greatly dismayed;
But You, O LORD--how long?
4Return, O LORD, rescue my soul;
Save me because of Your lovingkindness.
5For there is no mention of You in death;
In Sheol who will give You thanks?
6I am weary with my sighing;
Every night I make my bed swim,
I dissolve my couch with my tears.
7My eye has wasted away with grief;
It has become old because of all my adversaries.

David so eloquently lays his heart out before the Lord and gives a poetic, clear description of all mankind's stature before receiving Christ! David knows he is "pining away" and he asks to be saved by God "because of your (God's) lovingkindness." I truly connected with this Psalm today, in that, I feel I should daily have the same desperation for my savior. I need to realize daily where I was before, and what Christ did for me!

We can't ever reach perfection, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Some faiths will state that we must earn our grace by service and obidience. Some will say that if we are a good person they will be accepted into Heaven. But God so clearly shows us the heart of man, not perfect, possibly under wrath, destined for death but craving powerful God who can save us. We all still have daily struggles with worldly fears and ambitions or, maybe, a past that we just can't forget.

This scripture also shows us David's heart as hungry, fearful, and submissive to God's authority. This state of David's heart reveals how small we are compared to God. . . and looking forward to Christ, how he can free us from the world and lead us to salvation! We must yearn for Him, crave him, and seek him; because we NEED Him. Death was our destination, we needed a savior. Only God can save us, we can't save ourselves.

Romans 3:24 "being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus."

We have been given an amazing gift. Christ has saved us of all transgressions; past, present, and future. I love our God and Savior. We are truly blessed. I just have been reminded how I must see my NEED for Christ. He is our breath of life and we would be dead in our transgressions without Him!

4 comments:

  1. Keep blogging on here as often as you feel the need or desire. It is nice to read your thoughts and it seems like I may be able to pull things from you at times. Also, it looks like you may be able to process things through the writing. That's all I wanted to say. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro! I will try, when school starts back up I will find all sorts of excuses so keep me accountable! That is when I will need to reflect the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yearn" by Shane and Shane comes to mind : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! That is such a good song. Man I need to sing that song in my mind every day.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?